Kinzinger Leads Efforts to Create Jobs and Grow Illinois’ Clean Energy Economy
WASHINGTON – Today, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) formally announced its endorsement of Rep. Adam Kinzinger in his reelection bid for the U.S. House in Illinois’ 16th Congressional District.
In order to receive CRES’s endorsement, candidates must acknowledge a role for the federal government in reducing America’s carbon emissions and developing a robust clean energy industry, as well as demonstrate leadership on policy initiatives related to climate change and emissions reduction.
“Congressman Adam Kinzinger has played a key role in advancing the clean energy technologies that have created over 125,000 jobs in Illinois,” said CRES Executive Director Heather Reams. “During his time in the U.S. House, Congressman Kinzinger has worked to promote a safe and healthy environment and supported job-creating policies that strengthen our energy economy and security. CRES is proud to formally endorse Adam Kinzinger in his reelection bid for the U.S. House in Illinois’ 16th Congressional District.”
“I’m humbled to receive this endorsement from the CRES and will continue to be a strong advocate for clean, reliable, affordable energy solutions. I know how important it is to advance energy independence and build up a strong energy supply, both for the good of our communities and to grow our economy. I’ve long been an advocate for nuclear energy, which is especially important in my district of Illinois, and I look forward to continuing my work with CRES on promoting safe and zero-emissions energy,” said U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger.
CRES-endorsed candidates have contributed to a policy landscape to advance clean energy and emissions reductions in a way that puts the needs of the country first. Examples of initiatives and legislation championed by CRES and endorsed candidates have included reforming and reauthorizing ARPA-E and advanced nuclear research and development; commonsense, market-based emissions-reduction policies, including legislation to help farmers, ranchers and landowners embrace sustainable farming practices and participate in voluntary carbon markets; and policy solutions to incentivize the next generation of hydropower, wind, solar and geothermal generation, among others.
Congressman Kinzinger’s record on clean energy includes the following:
- As a senior member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee he introduced the Nuclear Licensing Efficiency Act, legislation that would remove regulatory barriers to the deployment of nuclear technologies.
- Introduced the European Energy Security and Diversification Act, a bill that encourages European nations to develop their own domestic energy sources.
- Introduced the Smart Buildings Acceleration Act, a measure that provides rebates to homeowners who invest in energy efficiency improvements.
- Co-sponsored the Pipeline Safety Act, legislation that reauthorizes federal pipeline safety programs.
- Co-sponsored the CHP Act to promote Combined Heat and Power (CHP) and more efficient energy technology.
- Co-sponsored the American Critical Mineral Exploration and Innovation Act, legislation that promotes the domestic exploration, research, development, and processing of critical minerals to ensure the economic and national security of the United States.
- Co-sponsored the bipartisan House resolution formally recognizing National Clean Energy Week 2020.
- Serves as a member of the House Bipartisan Climate Solutions Caucus.