Amodei Leads Efforts to Create Jobs and Grow Nevada’s Clean Energy Economy
WASHINGTON — Today, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) formally announced its endorsement of Rep. Mark Amodei in his reelection bid for the U.S. House in Nevada’s 2nd Congressional District.
In order to receive CRES’s endorsement, candidates must acknowledge a role for the federal government in reducing America’s carbon emissions and developing a robust clean energy industry, as well as demonstrate leadership on policy initiatives related to climate change and emissions reduction.
“As a member of the House Appropriations Committee, Congressman Mark Amodei has played a key role in advancing the clean energy technologies that have created nearly 34,000 jobs in Nevada,” said CRES Executive Director Heather Reams. “During his time in the U.S. House, Congressman Amodei has worked to promote a safe and healthy environment, supported job-creating policies that strengthen our domestic energy economy, and has backed forward-looking legislation to encourage innovation in energy storage. CRES is proud to formally endorse Mark Amodei for reelection for the U.S. House in Nevada’s 2nd Congressional District.”
“I thank Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions for their endorsement. In Nevada, innovative sources of clean energy such as geothermal and solar are critical to preserving our climate, driving economic growth, and spurring local job creation,” said Congressman Mark Amodei. “In fact, at the end of last year, Nevada had more than 33,000 clean energy jobs. Unfortunately, we have lost nearly 5,000 clean energy jobs since the coronavirus pandemic. While our nation continues working to recover, Congress can and should take a leading role in facilitating the development of clean, dependable, and innovative energy solutions that will allow us to harness our own resources and continue creating jobs here at home. As a member of the bipartisan House Climate Solutions Caucus, I realize that responsible stewardship of our environment means placing evidence-based policies and continuous research over political demagoguery, which is why I will continue working with my colleagues to advance common-sense reforms that will create jobs, lower energy costs, and preserve our environment for future generations.”
CRES-endorsed candidates have contributed to a policy landscape to advance clean energy and emissions reductions in a way that puts the needs of the country first. Examples of initiatives and legislation championed by CRES and endorsed candidates have included reforming and reauthorizing ARPA-E and advanced nuclear research and development; commonsense, market-based emissions-reduction policies, including legislation to help farmers, ranchers and landowners embrace sustainable farming practices and participate in voluntary carbon markets; and policy solutions to incentivize the next generation of hydropower, wind, solar and geothermal generation, among others.
Congressman Amodei’s record on clean energy includes the following:
- Co-sponsored the Energy Sector Innovation Credit, legislation that allows for increased investments in energy storage technology, which is a critical component for clean energy.
- Co-sponsored the Renewable Energy Extension Act, a bill that extends the energy tax credit for certain renewable resources and the credit for residential energy efficient property for five years.
- Co-sponsored the Public Land Renewable Energy Development Act, legislation aimed at promoting the development of renewable energy on public lands.
- Co-sponsored the Better Energy Storage Technology (BEST) Act, legislation that directs the Department of Energy to establish a research, development and demonstration program for grid-scale energy storage.
- Co-sponsored the U.S. House resolution formally recognizing National Clean Energy Week 2020.
- Serves as a member of the U.S. House Climate Solutions Caucus.