Fitzpatrick Leads Efforts to Create Jobs and Grow Pennsylvania’s Clean Energy Economy
WASHINGTON – Today, Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions (CRES) formally announced its endorsement of Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick in his reelection bid for the U.S. House in Pennsylvania’s 1st Congressional District.
In order to receive CRES’s endorsement, candidates must acknowledge a role for the federal government in reducing America’s carbon emissions and developing a robust clean energy industry, as well as demonstrate leadership on policy initiatives related to climate change and emissions reduction.
“Congressman Brian Fitzpatrick has played a key role in advancing clean energy technologies that have created nearly 94,000 jobs in Pennsylvania,” said CRES Executive Director Heather Reams. “During his time in the U.S. House, Congressman Fitzpatrick has worked to promote a safe and healthy environment, supported job-creating policies that strengthen our energy economy, and has championed forward-looking legislation to encourage innovation in energy storage. CRES is proud to formally endorse Brian Fitzpatrick for reelection for the U.S. House in Pennsylvania’s 1st Congressional District.”
“Thank you to Citizens for Responsible Energy Solutions for joining our team! In Congress I will continue to support clean and responsible energy solutions,” said Congressman Fitzpatrick. “We can simultaneously accomplish both environmental preservation and economic growth; these are not mutually exclusive goals. Green energy jobs are the growth industry of America’s future.”
CRES-endorsed candidates have contributed to a policy landscape to advance clean energy and emissions reductions in a way that puts the needs of the country first. Examples of initiatives and legislation championed by CRES and endorsed candidates have included reforming and reauthorizing ARPA-E and advanced nuclear research and development; commonsense, market-based emissions-reduction policies, including legislation to help farmers, ranchers and landowners embrace sustainable farming practices and participate in voluntary carbon markets; and policy solutions to incentivize the next generation of hydropower, wind, solar and geothermal generation, among others.
Congressman Fitzpatrick’s record on clean energy includes the following:
- Introduced the Great American Outdoors Act, legislation to provide permanent, dedicated funding for the Land and Water Conservation Fund, the nation’s premier recreation and preservation support program. The bill was signed into law by President Trump on August 4.
- Co-sponsored the Growing Climate Solutions Act, legislation that helps solve technical entry barriers for farmer and forest landowner participation in carbon credit markets.
- Co-sponsored the Better Energy Storage Technology (BEST) Act, legislation that directs the Department of Energy to establish a research, development and demonstration program for grid-scale energy storage.
- Co-sponsored the Expanding Access to Sustainable Energy Act, a bill to establish an energy storage and microgrid grant and technical assistance program.
- Co-sponsored the USE IT Act, legislation to support carbon utilization and direct air capture research.
- Co-sponsored the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act, to promote advanced nuclear technology.
- Co-sponsored the Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) Reauthorization Act of 2019, which is a successful DOE program which provides funding for transformative, early stage energy research in support of American energy security and economic competitiveness.
- Co-sponsored the U.S. House resolution formally recognizing National Clean Energy Week 2020.
- Serves as a member of the U.S. House Climate Solutions Caucus.